Kreizler (Daniel Brühl) and Moore (Luke Evans) follow a lead. Sara (Dakota Fanning) visits a hospital and is forced to confront her past. Cyrus (Robert Ray Wisdom), Kreizler’s carriage driver, recovers from his injuries. Byrnes (Ted Levine) and Connor (David Wilmot) plot against the team. Detectives Marcus (Douglas Smith) and Lucius Isaacson (Matthew Shear) work on a clue. 
- Thomas Byrnes (to Dr. Kreizler): "You are subverting the law!"
- Dr. Kreizler: "My only concern is that there are seven dead children."
- Paul Kelly: "You are fighting a monster, doctor. And if you're not careful, it will devour you."
- The episode covers from Chapter Twenty-Seven to Chapter Thirty of Caleb Carr's novel, ending Part II and starting Part III with notable changes and additional original scenes.
- The title of the episode is from one of John Schuyler Moore's line referred to J.P. Morgan, Thomas Byrnes and Bishop Potter as the men running the city.