The investigation heats up as Sara (Dakota Fanning) gets her hands on a clue and Kreizler (Daniel Brühl) tries to connect the evidence left behind by the serial killer. Tensions rise within the police department. Kreizler takes Moore (Luke Evans), Sara, Marcus (Douglas Smith) and Lucius (Matthew Shear) to Delmonico’s in New York and informs them they are going to be working together as a team to catch the killer. 
- Dr. Kreizler (to his associates): "A toast to the beginning of a fruitful partnership!"
- Dr. Kreizler (to his associates): "We may not know his name or where he lives, but he exists in plain sight."
- Sara Howard (to Dr. Kreizler): "It wouldn't be fair to assume anything about me, Doctor."
- John Moore (to Dr. Kreizler): "My God! Do you never tire of the sound of your own voice?!"
- The episode covers from chapter Eight to chapter Eleven of Part One of Caleb Carr's novel, with some changes and additional original scenes, such as Marcus' involvement with the socialist party and the Isaacson's household as well as some Sara's scenes at the Police Department.
- The title of the episode comes from the incipit of the toast speech made by Dr. Kreizler.